Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tender Mercies

A speaker in church today gave a talk based on a talk by Elder David A. Bednar titled, "The Tender Mercies of the Lord". As I listened to some of his personal examples of when he has felt those "tender mercies" in his own life, I thought about the many ways that God has been good to me. I think so many times people don't even recognize when God showers blessings and mercy down upon them. Some, whose faith in God isn't strong might count it as coincidence. Some call it "good luck". Some may believe that God was the source, but deep down feel they deserved the blessings.

I don't consider my self the most worthy of recipients of God's goodness, but I often feel as a friend of mine used to always say, that I am "God's spoiled only child". I am amazed at the "tender mercies" extended to me, even when I don't deserve them. Even though I may at times be spiritually lazy, when I do pray for help, He answers those prayers in amazing ways.

I know that we all have to experience trials and tribulation in this life. I believe this is part of the reason we are on this earth, to learn and grow from these experiences. That belief doesn't lessen the severity of the trial, but it does make it easier to understand why. But it is amazing that even in the darkest of times, God quietly pours out His "tender mercies" to help us through.

I have often seen others be the instrument to bring those blessings to my life. They may not have even known that they were an answer to prayer, but I knew they were. I hope that I will always be willing to step up and do the same for others.

2 comments:

Looney said...

Sometimes the small things catch my attention, but it is the big things that escape my attention. A healthy and stable family. A job. The talent and mental stability to hold a job. Being able to serve in a church. There are so many things from the Lord that our society programs us to treat as rights, rather than acknowledging God.

Fromagette said...

Thanks for the invite to your newest blog! I actually had already been checking it out. And thanks for your comments on "tender mercies". Recently I have been going over all the blessings I've received in the last few months and I am in awe at how much God knows me and how blessed I am even though I certainly feel that it is not all deserved.