Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Do You Believe in Miracles?

I've had something I've been thinking about for quite some time now. I have mulled it over in my mind and I think I've finally come to an understanding. I could never understand how people could believe in miracles, but not believe that Joseph Smith could translate the Book of Mormon, or that angels could appear to him.

Many believe that Moses actually parted the Red Sea, and the children of Israel passed through on dry ground. They can believe that the apostles in the New Testament healed the sick. They can believe that Jesus was resurrected from the dead. They can believe that Lazarus was raised from the dead. They can believe that Daniel was protected from lions in the lions den. They can believe that Sarah could have a child when she was beyond child rearing years. They can believe that Joseph of Egypt was able to interpret dreams. They can believe that Isaiah was able to prophecy the future. They can believe that Jesus turned water in to wine, or fed 5000 with a few loaves and fishes. They can believe that miracles happened in days of old, but they can't believe that they can happen today.

As I have pondered this for quite some months now, I have started to read what others believe about the Bible, and I have come to see that many Christian churches, in fact, don't believe the Bible literally. Many churches believe that it was only speaking figuratively. They can't believe prophecies that verge too much on the miraculous, and instead interpret them according to what they can comfortably believe.

I, for one, do believe in miracles. I believe that if God can create the Earth, and everything on it, he can perform miracles today. He asks us, "Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?" Jer. 32:27 Is it too hard for the Lord to lead another people across the sea to the Americas? Is it too hard for the Lord to command them to keep a record? Is it too hard for Him to bring forth that record in the latter day and have it translated? Is it too hard for Him to call modern day prophets to restore the Gospel that was lost to apostasy? I believe these things happened, just as I believe that Moses did in fact turn the river Nile in to blood. I believe that the Book of Mormon came forth by the gift and power of God just as much as I believe that Isaiah was inspired and shown in vision the second coming of our Savior. I believe that Jesus Christ was literally resurrected from the dead, and I also believe that the resurrected Peter, James and John came to Joseph Smith and restored the Priesthood authority which had been lost. Simply put, I believe in miracles. Do you believe in miracles?

No comments: