Thursday, April 21, 2011

Book of Mormon Challenge 1 Nephi 4

Wow, I honestly thought I had gotten further with this challenge. I personally have read further, but I forgot I hadn't posted anything! I'll try to do better!

What I like best about this chapter is that Nephi is encouraging his brothers to remember that God is all powerful. He reminds them that God brought the children of Israel through the Red sea on dry ground. He reminds them that God can defeat all of their enemies. This is a timely post because of the advent of the Passover. This is the same message that is taught in the feast that the Jews celebrate. That one event, of Moses leading the children of Israel from Pharoah is so important in showing the power of God, that for centuries the Jews have celebrated it. Nephi also reminds his brothers, and encourages them to have faith in God to deliver them from their enemies within the city gates.

I also like how Nephi approaches the situation in which they find themselves. It is vital that their family have a copy of the scriptures to take with them in to the wilderness, and ultimately to another continent. Nephi does not know how he is going to obtain the scriptures, but he moves forward with the faith that God will help him to accomplish his task. As he takes one step in to the darkness, God inspires him as to how to further proceed. This is a great example for all of us to follow. This reminds me of another Book of Mormon scripture: "6And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." Ether 12:6 We need to follow Nephi's example and move forward with faith, and watch for how God will help us to do what he has commanded.

No comments: