Sunday, July 26, 2009

Prayer for the Nations of the Earth

Last October, in our General Conference, Pres. Thomas S. Monson made this plea:

"Brothers and sisters, our missionary force, serving throughout the world, continues to seek out those who are searching for the truths which are found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Church is steadily growing; it has since its organization over 178 years ago.

It has been my privilege during the past six months to meet with leaders of countries and with representatives of governments. Those with whom I’ve met feel kindly toward the Church and our members, and they have been cooperative and accommodating. There remain, however, areas of the world where our influence is limited and where we are not allowed to share the gospel freely. As did President Spencer W. Kimball over 32 years ago, I urge you to pray for the opening of those areas, that we might share with them the joy of the gospel. As we prayed then in response to President Kimball’s pleadings, we saw miracles unfold as country after country, formerly closed to the Church, was opened. Such will transpire again as we pray with faith." Thomas S. Monson, “Welcome to Conference,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 4–6

Having served a mission in Taiwan, I consider myself a China missionary. I hope you will join me in praying for the countries of the world, including, and maybe even especially China, to open to freedom of religion and freedom to proselyte so that the gospel of Jesus Christ may be freely preached there.


My husband and I were both Taiwan missionaries. This is a picture taken at the 50th anniversary of LDS missionaries in Taiwan. Behind us is a picture of the first missionaries sent.

No comments: