Sunday, May 17, 2009

Carrying the Truth to the Hearts of the Children of Men

I have been thinking a lot lately about this blog, and my purpose for it. I want to tell you that when I write, I write from the feelings in my heart. I write about those things about which I feel most strongly. I write of my testimony and deepest faith. But my fear is that the spirit that I feel when I write, might not come across as strongly when these things are read. I guess I just need to have faith in the spirit. But I feel like Nephi of old who wrote in the Book of Mormon. He said,
"And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men." 2 Nephi 33:1

I do believe that truth is conveyed by the Holy Ghost. But I also have experienced feeling the spirit when I have read the Bible and the Book of Mormon and other scripture. I do believe that reading can carry the message to our hearts, through the power of the spirit. But I wish that I could speak instead of write so that I could truly convey the testimony that I feel within me.

Many years ago when I was attending a church "Institute" class, the teacher encouraged us to pray each and every time we read the scriptures. He told us that we needed the spirit to guide us in our studies. I have followed that practice ever since, and have felt the spirit distilling and blessing me in my studies. I hope that you too will pray for the spirit to help guide you in to all truth. I hope that you will feel the spirit of what I write.

No comments: