Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Article of Faith 13

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

The 13th article of faith was always the nemesis of children trying to memorize the articles of faith. ;) But I think it is an important article to add to our list of beliefs. Our ancestors suffered much to bring about the peace and freedom to worship that we enjoy today. We today will probably also have to make sacrifices for our beliefs. But we have hope that we can endure, and we move ahead seeking those things that are good, and trying to be Christlike examples. Sometimes I feel this is the area that I most lack. But this article of faith gives some direction. If I can be honest, and true, and chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and if I strive to do good to all men, then maybe I can come close to what Paul admonished us to be.

No comments: