Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Golden Rule





Matt. 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

When I was living in China, I often frequented the stalls along the roadside. One day as I was looking at the different goods in the shops along the street, I found a winter scarf that I thought would look nice with my coat. I told the seller that I would like to purchase it and I handed him the money. When he handed me back my change, he inadvertently handed me a 100 yuan bill instead of a 10. I pointed out his mistake and handed him back the 100 bill. He thanked me profusely. With the exchange rate at that time, 100 yuan was not that much money to me, but it was to him. As I was getting ready to leave, he taught me a Chinese saying: "Chang hsin, bi hsin." This isn't the best translation, but you could think of it as saying, "If you give of your heart, others will compete". I think this is much like the Golden rule which tells us, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". How wonderful this world would be if all men practiced this simple law that Jesus taught.

3 comments:

Nate said...

Love your neighbor as you love yourself. One of the two commandments that Jesus gave us.

The Social Reformer said...

i love this rule...very comforting

Amber said...

this really is the motto I try to live my life by, because I really feel that it's true, especially when I am being served by someone in the retail, restaurant or some other service industry I always try to be the customer that I would like to have