Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Benefits of the Book of Mormon Part 1

Recently I posted about the things that the Book of Mormon has to add to the plan of salvation that cannot be found in the Bible. I decided that I would like to make several posts to talk about these things individually.



















In old Testament Times, there was a law by which the people governed their affairs. this law is found in the book of Deuteronomy.
Deuteronomy 19:15
15 ¶ One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
The principle behind this law was that there must be 2 or 3 witnesses to a thing before the matter could be established. We also find this teaching elsewhere in the bible:
Matt. 18:16
But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
1 Cor. 13:1
This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.
Heb. 10:28
He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses.

The Book of Mormon fulfills this law, by acting as a second witness to the Bible that Jesus is the Christ.
In the Old Testament we find a very interesting scripture:

Ezekiel 37: 16,19,20
16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.
20 ¶ And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes

What are these "sticks" spoken of? They are the records, or scriptures. If you think about the scrolls that were used long ago, this scripture makes more sense. One of these "sticks" or records was to be written for Judah and the children of Israel. One of these records was for the tribe of Joseph and his house. The Bible is the record of Judah, and the tribes of Israel. The Book of Mormon is the record of a people who were from the tribe of Joseph, but ultimately were also from the tribes of Israel. Together, if we take these two records in our hands together, we have two testimonies that Jesus is the Christ. They become one in our hand, not just physically, but they become one in purpose to testify of the Savior.

Jesus said, " 14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." John 10:14-16

Who were these "other sheep" that Jesus spoke of? When the Savior visited the Americas, He explained who these "other sheep" were. In the Book of Mormon we read,

"This much did the Father command me, that I should tell unto them

That other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." 3 Nephi 15:16,17, 21

By bringing His Gospel to the people of the Americas, Christ made His fold to be one fold with one shepherd.

The title page of the Book of Mormon says that one of the purposes of the Book of Mormon is for , "the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations." It stands today along side the Bible as a witness of Jesus Christ. It is the record of the "other sheep" spoken of in the Bible. I hope that you will take the opportunity to read the Book of Mormon and listen to the witness that it has to offer.

No comments: