Friday, October 15, 2010

Quote of the Day: Elder Dallin H. Oaks: The Sacrament

Elder Dallin H. Oaks:

“I plead with all members of the Church, young and old, to attend sacrament meeting each Sabbath day and to partake of the sacrament with the repentant attitude described as ‘a broken heart and a contrite spirit’ ( 3 Nephi 9:20 ). I pray that we will do so with the reverence and worship of our Savior that will signify a serious covenant to ‘always remember him’ ( D&C 20:77 ). The Savior himself has said that we should partake ‘with an eye single to my glory—remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins’ ( D&C 27:2 ).

“I pray that we will also partake of the sacrament with the submissive manner that will help us accept and serve in Church callings in order to comply with our solemn covenant to take His name and His work upon us. I also plead for us to comply with our solemn covenant to keep His commandments. . . .

“. . . Let us qualify ourselves for our Savior’s promise that by partaking of the sacrament we will ‘be filled’ ( 3 Nephi 20:8 ; see also 3 Nephi 18:9 ), which means that we will be ‘filled with the Spirit’ ( 3 Nephi 20:9 )” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1996, 81–82; or Ensign, Nov. 1996, 61 ).

No comments: