Monday, April 5, 2010

The Mormons

Tonight "The Mormons" is airing on PBS. I tried to watch this once before, but didn't get through the entire thing. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to this time either. It's airing as I type, but I'm only half listening. I guess my problem is that within the first 30 seconds of the show, I found that this special is presented in the most skeptical way possible. There are some church authorities speaking who do add credibility, but most of the "scholars" they feature don't really have a deep understanding of our faith. Some of the scholars they feature are "former church scholars". For me, a member of the church, that reeks of "apostate". Not the best person to ask for information about our church. I guess my reason for writing this post is to encourage those who want to know about the church to ask a member, or visit a church website. Those who do not understand cannot give you a good understanding. Also, some of them are biased in their opinions. It would be sort of like asking a left wing liberal to explain the greatness of the right wing. They simply cannot do it without sarcasm, or biased arguments. The other thing that bothers me about this is that some of the events that they detail in this series, are ones that are very sacred to us. But they do not tell them in a sacred way, but in a critical way. I would say that if you want to really learn about our religion, click on this link to view some church produced videos. They are much more accurate.

No comments: