Sunday, February 15, 2009

What is a Mormon?

I have been thinking for some time that I would like to explain this term. The nickname "Mormon" is a term given to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by others. In reality, we are Christians. Using the term "Mormon" to identify us is misleading, because it leads people to think that we aren't Christian. But this is not a name we have given ourselves. In my blog, I often use the term because I know that some people will be doing internet searches of the word "Mormon", but it does not describe who we really are.

We believe in the Holy Bible, and teach and preach from it. But we also believe that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Just as the Bible is the testament by the peoples who lived in olden times in the Holy land, the Book of Mormon stands as a second witness by the people of the ancient Americas that Jesus is the Christ. After Jesus Christ was resurrected, He told his disciples, "And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." John 10:16. He then went to visit others, including the people who lived on the American continent. He showed Himself to them, and they recorded their witness that He lives, and is the Savior of the World. The Book of Mormon stands as a companion witness to the Bible of our Savior.

Because of our belief in the Book of Mormon, we have been nicknamed "Mormons". But in fact, we are Christians. We believe that Jesus Christ is the promised Messiah. We worship Him. We do not worship Mormon, nor do we worship the Book of Mormon. In recent years, the Church has requested that we be referred to as "Latter-Day Saints", instead of using the term "Mormon". The term, "Latter-Day Saints" is used to differentiate us from the Saints in the early church. It also reminds us that we do live in the "latter days".

We are Christians, but we are not a break off of the Christian churches that came from England at the establishment of America. We believe that our church is the restored church of Jesus Christ. We believe that an apostasy occurred after the death of the apostles, and that the organization Jesus Christ set up, with apostles and prophets, was lost from the Earth. Through the Prophet Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ restored His church to the earth, with all of the same ordinances, and organization that existed in the early church.

While I might occasionally use the word Mormon in my blog, my intention is simply to use it as a guide for those who are searching out information about our church. I also put it in my blog address for the same reason. But never forget the most important phrase from the name of our Church: "The Church of Jesus Christ". The Savior stands at the head of this church, and reveals His will for directing it to a living prophet.

I am not offended by anyone who calls me a "Mormon", because I know that there is historical reference to this term, and it helps others to know which church I am speaking of. But I hope that everyone will remember that I first and foremost am a Christian, and that I look to Jesus Christ for salvation.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.