Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In God We Trust











image from










I was reminded today of the meaning of the words "In God we trust" that are printed on our coins and money. Some think that these words should be taken off, that having them a part of government is not keeping church and state separate. But as I thought of this today, I thought of the incidious nature of money. What money, particulary excess of it, does to us is make us feel that we don't need God. When we begin to prosper, it is the nature of all men that we begin to feel that we are independent from God, and can make our own way alone. The Book of Mormon teaches, "O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm." 2 Nephi 4:34

What a great reminder for us, when we begin to prosper and accumulate wealth, to be able to look at our money and read the words, "In God We Trust", and remember that money will not bring us the security we need. Let us pray that those who do not put their trust in God will not take this reminder off of our currency.

No comments: